This blog post might seem like a "no-duh" kind of a reflection, but it's something that recently just dawned on me. I'm a Ukrainian-American. I came to the United States when I was very young, but I still remember my life back in Ukraine fifteen years ago. I remember that we had an outhouse, no toilet inside. We did not have a T.V or computer. We did all of our laundry manually. We had a little plot of land on which we grew our food, all of which was done by hand. We had electricity, but the fuses would always blow and we were left powerless. This was only fifteen years ago.
I know that computers and T.V's have been around for much longer than fifteen years, but I've lived a little part of my life with very limited technology, and now I'm completely swarmed with it. I was just thinking how quickly all of these technological advances have progressed. I mean, it has only been fifteen years for me, but in reality it hasn't been that much longer for the rest of the world either. Only fifty or sixty years ago, nobody would have hoped for electric cars, or cellphones with internet on them. Only 100 years ago, the internet itself was not possible.
In the last 100 years technology has advanced very profoundly. We have things that 100 years ago nobody thought was possible. I was just thinking of all the endless possibilities in the next 100 years. We can reach heights that today nobody in their right mind thinks is possible. It's a really exciting world we live in.
Yuliya,
ReplyDeleteI could see how coming to America could be a little overwhelming in the way that technology is used here in comparison to Ukraine. I have lived here my whole life and still become overwhelmed by some of the technological advances. I hope that you don't loose some of that culture you come from even though you are being swarmed with a whole new one.
Thanks for sharing:)
Erin