Sunday, April 21, 2013

Reflection 11

As I meantioned in a previous reflection, the job I work at has had a system update. Pretty much everything that has to do with computers has been changed. My boss is a semi-older gentleman. He is probably fourty years old. The thing is that he cannot figure out how to use the new system even still. He is really worried that he might lose his job to somebody younger and more capable with technology. I find this really sad. He's been with the company for over twenty years, but he fears being replaced just because he can't figure out some technology things.

I think this is a sad reality that many older people have to deal with. They fear being unemployable because they aren't really good with computers. With all the sacrifices my boss made for the company he works for, it's sad to think that his bosses might try and get rid of him just because he cannot perform as well as somebody else with technology.

1 comment:

  1. I had been having this thought about the previous generations and our role to care for them (well--primarily our parents and grandparents). With all the integration of technology in education, I feel that we also have to look back and help the older generation with the gap. The issue is that it is a much greater divide.

    I know some places (library, churches, etc.) that have free computer classes. It seems that not many older people take advantage of this, so I was wondering what would be a good way for me to help aid this effort. It hurts my heart when my mom still types with the search and peck method or when I try to show her how to scan a document through our multi-function printer.

    I appreciate that you also feel this empathy and hope that we can look for ways to educate our "old" as well as the new.

    ReplyDelete