I was reading one of my classmate's comments on my blog, and realized that I hold a similar view that she does. She said that technology hinders human development because of all the ways that it is misused. I think that I really do agree with this point. I mean how long can you survive without your phone? We, as a society, are constantly engulfed in the technology around us. I mean sure, we have thousands of facebook friends, twitter and instagram followers, and skype friends, but how many real relationships do we try to foster?
I think that as a society we are moving farther and farther away from real relationships and real interactions with people. We know how to text, email, and IM, but having a conversation face to face with somebody is harder than it used to be. I find that often times people prefer to text somebody rather than call. Everything is about our technology, and not very much is about people anymore. I find this shift very sad because people are what make this life important, not the hundreds of gadgets that we can accumulate.
I'm also a bit concerned about the role technology is playing in our relationships in society. There are even dinner games where people will leave their cell phone in a pile on the table; if someone were to check their phone during dinner, they would have to pay for the whole bill. It goes to show how technology has replaced our need to be intimately or rather just relational to each other. I might have mentioned that I had seen a post that dictated the social rules to follow on the internet. Just the fact that we now have online expectations of behaviors shows the move from face to face interaction and digital interaction. One time, I noticed that 3 of my friends were sitting on the couch all playing the same game on their phones and not looking at each other. I'm a bit fearful too of what this means.
ReplyDelete